Post Op Care
Tongue Tie/Lip Tie
Instructions following Surgery:
- You may breast feed or bottle feed your baby immediately following surgery
- Your baby may use a pacifier immediately following surgery
- The surgical site(s) will look reddish, brownish, black the day of the procedure. These will heal into soft white scabs (sometimes with a yellow or greenish tinge). And eventually everything will heal into a nice pink color typically around 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Post op discomfort generally sets in 5-7 hours after the procedure. For the first 2-3 days following surgery, you may use over the counter Tylenol or any homeopathic remedy that you feel comfortable with (Highland's teething gel, Arnica, Lavender Essential Oil, etc)
- You may use Vitamin E oil on the surgical site(s) in the morning and at bedtime.
Begin stretching exercises 2 days after the day of surgery
Lip Exercise: Gently lift the lip toward the nose as high as it will go and hold there for 3 seconds. Repeat 3 times per day for 2 weeks.
Tongue Exercise: Rub your index finger back and forth across the floor of the mouth 3-5 times. Place your index fingers underneath the tongue and raise the tongue up and back towards the back of the throat as far as it will go and hold for 3 seconds. Make sure to push your fingers into the diamond shaped surgical wound.
***It is OKAY to see a little bleeding from the surgical site while doing stretches***
- Common post-operative healing consequences include: generalized "fussiness" for 1-2 days, swelling of the lip, low grade fever, slight bleeding of the surgical are for 1 or 2 days.
- Return to the office in 1 week for a post treatment evaluation.